The prosecution ordered the detention of 25 Port Said residents, including six minors, who were arrested during protests against the upholding of death sentences for defendants over the Port Said Stadium tragedy in 2012.
Over 100 people were arrested during Monday’s protests, according to lawyer Hany al-Gibaly, who is representing a number of them. Gibaly told Mada Masr that 25 people were detained for 15 days pending investigations, and six minors were detained for four days. The remainder of those arrested may be referred to the National Security Agency for further investigation, he added.
Charges against the detainees range from illegal gathering, to use of force, burning a police vehicle and resisting authorities, according to Gibaly. The defendants were moved to a police camp for interrogations, which the lawyer explained is a common illegal practice.
Egyptian law prohibits the detention of minors below 15 years old, as well as with older defendants.
Police arrested dozens of people from Zahraa district in Port Said as they protested the death sentences issued against 10 of the city’s residents last week in relation to an incident at the city’s stadium in 2012, when Al-Ahly football club fans were killed.
The arrests were seemingly random, according to Gibaly, particularly after a police vehicle was burned, forcing shops to close and provoking violent responses from security forces.
A criminal court sentenced 11 people to death in June 2015 for their involvement in the 2012 Port Said stadium violence. A court of cassation upheld the sentences against 10 of them last week.
Port Said residents staged a campaign to turn off the lights in the city in protest over the sentences, and many also took to the streets in Zahraa district, where one of those sentenced to death used to live.
A number of Port Said MPs said they would appeal to President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to pardon the detainees.