Fact-finding committee to release report on post-June 30 violence next week
Rabea memorial monument
 

The Cabinet’s fact-finding committee investigating violent events that occurred across Egypt after the mass protests of June 30, 2013 will present its final report next week in a press conference, the committee’s general coordinator Amr Marwan told reporters on Monday.

The report will make no “political concessions” and “will not satisfy everyone,” Marwan asserted.

Former President Adly Mansour formed the committee last year to look into bloody confrontations that swept the country in the aftermath of former President Mohamed Morsi’s ouster.

The committee was often blocked from reaching out to Muslim Brotherhood leaders to include their testimonies in the report, as many Brotherhood members questioned the committee’s independence, Marwan explained.

“We tried to reach out for the Brotherhood’s testimonies, and collect information that expresses their viewpoint of the events. We also [tried to obtain] reports and recordings that reveal their narrative of the events,” he explained.

Marwan was specifically referring to the New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) report that lambasted the violent dispersal of the pro-Morsi Rabea al-Adaweya protest camp in August 14, 2013 as “likely a crime against humanity.”

In previous statements, the committee had promised to produce an account of the Rabea dispersal and the bloody events that followed that was more balanced than HRW’s condemnatory report.

The committee claimed it revealed the criminal responsibility for the fatal incidents on all sides, and that its report cannot be compared to the HRW report, which Marwan dismissed as “a memorandum of accusations against the government.”

While the major focus of HRW’s report was on the Rabea dispersal, it also outlined five separate incidents in which security forces killed protesters en masse following Morsi’s removal from power by the military on July 3, estimating that 1,150 protesters were killed.

The international rights organization called for President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to be held “individually accountable for the widespread and systematic killings of protesters from July to August, 2013.”

HRW called Sisi one of the “principal architects” of the harsh state violence last July and August in his capacities as defense minister, general commander of the Armed Forces, chair of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) and deputy prime minister for security affairs.

Marwan said that the governmental committee’s final report would include an introduction on the events that led to the June 30 mass protests demanding Morsi’s ouster, followed by the committee’s findings and a chronological investigation into incidents of violence.

The report’s recommendations include a call for new anti-torture and anti-discrimination laws, according to Marwan.

AD

You have a right to access accurate information, be stimulated by innovative and nuanced reporting, and be moved by compelling storytelling.
Subscribe now to become part of the growing community of members who help us maintain our editorial independence.
Know more

Join now

Your support is the only way to ensure independent,
progressive journalism
survives.