Contradictory government statements fail to shed light on Giza deaths
Courtesy: April 6 Youth Movement official Facebook page
 

Egypt’s Interior Ministry denied reports of a security raid in Giza, claiming that street clashes on Wednesday resulted in the death of two Muslim Brotherhood protestors. But in an apparently conflicting government statement, the Health Ministry stated on Thursday afternoon that it was not aware of any deaths related to the incidents in Giza. 

However, in unrelated Thursday morning statements, both the April 6 Youth Movement and the Muslim Brotherhood claimed that a security raid took place in Nahya, Giza Wednesday night.

In a Facebook statement on Thursday morning, the April 6 Youth Movement said that its member Khaled al-Rashidy was shot in the head and killed during the raid, while the Muslim Brotherhood’s political arm, the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), released a statement on Facebook claiming that Rashidy, along with three others, were killed in the raid.

Health Ministry Spokesperson Hossam Abdel Ghaffar told Mada Masr that the ministry has not yet received any reports of deaths or injuries from Nahya.

April 6 spokesperson Mohamed Kamal told Mada Masr that Rashidy was coming back from work when security forces shot him randomly in the head, during a raid in which police stormed the small district. The movement’s official page claimed that police forces were surveilling all those who attempted to visit Rashidy in the hospital Wednesday night, including his friend who brought him to the hospital.

Ministry of Interior Spokesperson Hany Abdel Latif denied to Mada Masr that there were any security raids in Nahya, claiming that clashes actually broke out between protesting Brotherhood members in Kerdasa, a neighborhood close to Nahya. The ministry alleges that an exchange of fire broke out between residents and protesters, leaving two Brotherhood protesters killed. According to Abdel Latif, those killed are Khaled Kamal Abdel Hamid and Mahmoud Hussien Ahmed.

However, April 6’s official Facebook page published some photos of police forces allegedly throwing tear gas and firing pellet and live shots to empty the streets of the village as part of the raid.

Cairo Court of Urgent matters banned the activities of April 6 Youth Movement last year, but the movement deemed the court decision as a “heavily politicized move.”

Both Kerdasa and Nahya have witnessed bloody confrontations between Brotherhood supporters and police forces since the ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi last year.

In Kerdasa, a group of armed men allegedly identified as belonging to the Brotherhood, stormed the Kerdasa police station last year, killing 14 police personnel. In retaliation, police forces stormed the village one month later in a security raid. One police officer was killed and nine others were injured.

23 defendants currently face trial for allegedly killing police forces in front of the Giza Criminal Court.

AD

You have a right to access accurate information, be stimulated by innovative and nuanced reporting, and be moved by compelling storytelling.
Subscribe now to become part of the growing community of members who help us maintain our editorial independence.
Know more

Join now

Your support is the only way to ensure independent,
progressive journalism
survives.