Series of explosions rocks Cairo on anniversary of Morsi’s ouster

On Thursday, Cairo witnessed another series of small-scale bombings on the day that marks the one-year anniversary of the ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood from power and the instatement of a military-backed government.

State-owned Al-Ahram reported that in the early hours of Thursday morning, a homemade bomb exploded in the Kerdasa area in Giza, killing one man and injuring another. 

According to the civil defense forces, the man killed by the explosion is reportedly the person who planted the device.

Kerdasa saw violent clashes in August 2013, following the violent dispersal of the Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins demanding the reinstatement of former President Mohamed Morsi. Heavily armed Morsi supporters stormed the police headquarters in the area, killing and mutilating the bodies of 15 officers. 

A police operation a month later aimed at arresting the suspects ended with the death of a police general. 

The privately owned Al-Masry Al-Youm also reported three explosions in the Imbaba area on Thursday, and cited security sources as saying that six unidentified attackers on motorbikes threw the explosives at three targets: two police stations and a workers’ residency. According to Al-Masry Al-Youm, no one was injured in the explosions.

Security forces also found two homemade bombs in Talbeya in the Haram district in Giza following the dispersal of a Muslim Brotherhood march, stated Al-Masry Al-Youm.

Meanwhile, outside of the capital, two bombs exploded in the Assiut governorate on Thursday. The first explosion took place on Riyadh Street behind the Assiut Police Station, with the second going off in al-Mahata Square. The two explosions left no casualties, according to Al-Masry Al-Youm, and the bomb squad is currently combing the area for more bombs. 

A car bomb also exploded on Wednesday evening near the Air Force Hospital in Abbasseya, injuring one and causing a reported “state of panic” among residents.

According to Ahram Gate, two men were in the car when it accidently exploded. One was injured and captured by the residents of the neighborhood while the other escaped the site.

According to primary investigations, the two men are allegedly part of the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood group.

On Monday, three consecutive explosions near the Ettehadiya Presidential Palace rocked the upscale Cairo neighborhood of Heliopolis. A police colonel lost his life as he tried to defuse an explosive device. Another police officer was also killed. The militant group Ajnad Misr claimed responsibility over the attack.

Meanwhile, a security source cited by the state-run Middle East News Agency said that Tahrir Square will be closed off to traffic in anticipation of Muslim Brotherhood protests to mark the one-year of Morsi’s ouster. The source said that all entry routes to Tahrir Square will be closed off, and that barbed wire will be used to block of these access points.

The source added that explosive experts have been deployed around Tahrir Square, Ettehadiya Presidential Palace, as well as in the Rabea al-Adaweya area, where the Brotherhood sit-in took last year and violently dispersed a month later. 

AD