2 police officers killed in explosions near Presidential Palace

Two police officers were killed in two consecutive explosions that took place near the Ettehadiya Presidential Palace Monday on the morning of the first anniversary of the June 30 protests that ousted former President Mohamed Morsi, state-owned Al-Ahram reported.

A police colonel from the Cairo Security Directorate bomb squad was killed as he tried to defuse two explosive devices found near the palace. According to Al-Ahram, he successfully defused one of the bombs, but was killed when another went off.

Another explosion occurred shortly after, killing another police officer as the bomb squad combed the area.

At least 13 others were injured the in the explosions, according the Ministry of Health.

The Heliopolis prosecution imposed a security cordon around the area as it investigates the incident.

The victims’ bodies are set to be moved to the Zeinhom morgue to determine the cause of death.

Monday’s blast follows a series of bombs that exploded last week, the most recent of which occurred at a telephone exchange building under construction on the outskirts of Cairo, killing an 18-year-old woman and her mother on Saturday. The explosion happened at around 9 am when two bombs that had been stored in the small telephone exchange building went off.

Monday marks the first anniversary of mass protests that led to the removal of Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood regime. A subsequent crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood followed the instatement of an interim government by the Armed Forces, including the bloody dispersal of two protest camps demanding Morsi’s return, which left hundreds dead.



You have a right to access accurate information, be stimulated by innovative and nuanced reporting, and be moved by compelling storytelling.

Subscribe now to become part of the growing community of members who help us maintain our editorial independence.
Know more

Join us

Your support is the only way to ensure independent,
progressive journalism