Raid in north Sinai kills, injures 112 people, says military
Armed Forces in Sinai
 

The Armed Forces declared that it killed and injured a total of 112 armed militants during a raid in northern Sinai on Thursday, reported the state-owned news site EgyNews.

Those killed were takfiri jihadis, the military said.

The military also arrested 69 people in the raid, including alleged members of the Ansar Beit al-Maqdes group — an extremist Sinai-based organization that has claimed responsibility for several Cairo bombings targeting the police forces — and three Palestinians who illegally entered Egypt through the Gaza tunnels, according to EgyNews.

Arms, ammunition, snipers’ telescopes, a mortar and electric circuits used to manufacture explosives and laptops were confiscated during the raid, the report said.

A car equipped with an automatic firearm, 35 motorcycles and a bulldozer were reportedly destroyed during the raid.

The military also said it demolished 142 houses and meeting places belonging to takfiri groups in Arish, Rafah, Sheikh Zuwayed, Beir al-Abd and surrounding villages.

Border guards and military personnel reportedly destroyed 49 tunnels linking Sinai with Gaza, bringing the total number of tunnels destroyed in that operation to 905.

Security forces also arrested 294 people accused of attempting to illegally enter the country with arms, 8 tons of marijuana and a large quantity of heroin, EgyNews reported, adding that the suspects also had satellite phones and contraband cigarettes.

Earlier in February, Armed Forces spokesperson Ahmed Mohamed Ali said seven “dangerous takfiri jihadists” were killed in an air strike in Sheikh Zuwayed.

AD

You have a right to access accurate information, be stimulated by innovative and nuanced reporting, and be moved by compelling storytelling.

Subscribe now to become part of the growing community of members who help us maintain our editorial independence.
Know more

Join us

Your support is the only way to ensure independent,
progressive journalism
survives.