Mubarak said not to harm protesters ‘even in his own bedroom,’ says former guard chief

Hosni Mubarak gave strict orders not to harm any protester “even if they stormed the presidential palace or his own bedroom,” according to the testimony of Ayman Fahim, former chief of the Republican Guard, at the hearing of the ousted president’s case of killing protesters during the January 25 uprising. 

Fahim said that Mubarak ordered the presidential guard not to fire a single bullet at protesters, and that his main priority was to avoid bloodshed, state-owned Al-Ahram reported.

On Monday, the Cairo Criminal Court adjourned Mubarak’s case to March 8. The case also includes his sons, Alaa and Gamal, as well as former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly, and six of his aides, on charges of killing protesters and exporting gas to Israel.

In his testimony, Fahim said that Mubarak intervened to stop the bloodshed when he ordered the Armed Forces to deploy on January 28 to “protect protesters and public institutions.”

Fahim added that he doesn’t believe that Adly ordered police forces to withdraw, claiming that they were being attacked by protesters on the street, leading them to remove their uniforms.

He also stated that he believes police forces used ammunition only to disperse protesters, and that they are not responsible for any injuries or fatalities among protesters, maintaining that they were “provoked.”

Last year, Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison for failing to prevent the killing of more than 800 protesters. Later, a court accepted his appeal for retrial.

AD