Government starts implementing Muslim Brotherhood ban

In a new development in the ongoing battle between the state and the Muslim Brotherhood, the Cabinet announced Tuesday the removal of the former from governmental records, relying on a court ruling issued last month that banned the whole group and its activities.

Hany Mehna, spokesperson of the Ministry of Social Solidarity, said that within hours the decision will be made as the legal grounding is now present.

According to Law 84/2002, which regulates the operation of NGOs, no NGO can practice politics or call for demonstrations, and if they do the government has the right to halt their activities and raid their premises.

Ahmed al-Borai, Minster of Social Solidarity, previously announced the formation of a committee to monitor the banning process, consisting of the ministers of interior, local development, justice and social solidarity, in addition to the General Intelligence Authority.

Many observers believe that such a step reveals that reconciliation efforts between the state and Brotherhood are going badly, while prominent Brotherhood leader Mohamed Ali Beshr told privately owned daily Al-Masry Al-Youm that there are no such negotiations happening.

“No one has offered to open direct talks with the military. However we have certain conditions and terms, such as that it must stop security raids against Islamists and get [ousted President Mohamed] Morsi back into power,” he said.

AD

You have a right to access accurate information, be stimulated by innovative and nuanced reporting, and be moved by compelling storytelling.

Subscribe now to become part of the growing community of members who help us maintain our editorial independence.
Know more

Join us

Your support is the only way to ensure independent,
progressive journalism
survives.