The Doctors Syndicate’s relief committee fund said on Sunday that it will treat the victims of the Republican Guards clashes just as it has treated “the January 25 martyrs as well as those of clashes at Mohamed Mahmoud Street and Maspero.”
Investigations are ongoing into the July 8 clashes around the Republican Guards headquarters, which left 52 people dead and hundreds injured, mainly supporters of ousted Muslim Brotherhood President Mohamed Morsi.
Salah al-Dessouki, secretary of the fund, told the state-owned Middle East News Agency (MENA) that they will distribute urgent compensation of LE5,000 to the families of each of the dead. They are also looking into covering either whole or part of the medical costs of those injured, he said.
A clear and accurate account of how events on July 8 unfolded remains elusive. While statements from the military have spoken of an attack on the Republican Guards headquarters that triggered the ensuing violence, the Muslim Brotherhood has said the attack started when the army fired at protesters supporting Morsi.
Morsi was removed from his post by an army ultimatum after millions protested on June 30 to demand that he step down and call for early elections.
One of the most persistent revolutionary demands since the 2011 uprising has been calls for justice for the martyrs who died in the January 25 revolution and properly compensating the families of those killed in clashes between protesters and security forces since then.
For more than two years, and despite numerous funds, initiatives and promises to properly care for families of those killed or injured, the families have repeatedly complained that their needs are not being addressed.